About the Project:
Everyone has seen damaged or vandalized gravestones and wished there was something they could do. The damage vandals cause violates our sense of humanity, and storm damage is almost as sad. Age itself can steal history, as time and nature erase the names of our ancestors.
Currently, it is very difficult for smaller or rural communities to find funds for the restoration or repair of neglected cemeteries and cemetery stones. Cemeteries occupy a niche in the IRS tax rules (because they are considered private property) that makes it very difficult to find government or foundation grants.
- To create a database of endangered (and aren't they all?) gravestones, which will include information not included elsewhere, such as artist and photos of each stone. Such an archive is important, as some of the information and art of these stones is lost every day due to vandalism, natural phenomena and just plain age.
- To manage a database of craftspeople with the skills necessary to help repair and restore damaged stones and neglected cemeteries.
If you have historic gravestones that you would like to include in our Adopt-an-Ancestor program, please contact me with any information you have on the person and his or her historical importance to the community, a picture of the stone, and what you think it will cost to repair or reset it (if it is tilting dangerously, for example). I can contribute genealogical services to help fill out the description, and we can post it here for others to contribute to its repair.
How you can help :
The Stone Angels Project is currently in the development stages. We are in need of a board of directors, and we need to apply for 501(c) 3 status. A board of directors is helpful toward this goal. Additionally, if you or your corporation can help with start-up costs, we would be most grateful. Application fees for 501(c)3 status are currently $800. Any amount is welcome. Donations made now will not be tax-deductible, but once we have submitted our nonprofit recognition request, they will be on a "good faith" basis.
Here is our current wish list for start-up:
- Contributions toward 501(c)3 application.
- A board of directors: legal and accounting skills are helpful.
- A small used RV to be transformed into our International Headquarters
- Wherever it is needed
There are two ways to give. For a safe, internet transaction with or without a Paypal account, please click on the donate button to the left, and be sure to note how you would like the donation to be applied.
To send a gift by check please remit to:
Stone Angels Project
424 South 48th
Lincoln, NE 68510
The Stone Angels Project is seeking a partnership with a corporation or corporations in the preservation, cemetery or other applicable industries. If your corporation would be interested in the tax-breaks and national publicity, or just in the saving of historic hand-carved stonework now in danger of being lost forever, please let us know.
Please contact Dr. Shannon Nolte for more information.